Link to Google Folder: 5th Grade Documents
Anything in blue should be turned in as homework on the next school day.
Anything in magenta is optional (at the discretion of the co-teacher).
BLOG KEY:
General:
Act – Activity
Ch – Chapter
Ex – Exercise
L – Lesson
p – Page(s)
Math:
TG – Teacher’s Guide
TB – Textbook
WB – Workbook
FP – Facts Practice (A, S, M, or D denotes which sheet to use)
Writing:
IEW- Institute for Excellence in Writing
KWO - Key word outline
Writing:
IEW- Institute for Excellence in Writing
KWO - Key word outline
Science:
TB – Human Anatomy Textbook
NBJ – Notebooking Journal
WDYR - What Do You Remember?
TLFS – Trees, Leaves, Flowers and Seeds
COMING SOON...
Monday, February 20 - Twenty-one Balloons Party, 12-1 p.m.
Wednesday, February 22 - DOGS/Pizza Day
Monday, February 27 - Moms in Prayer - 9 a.m.
"Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us and establish the work of our hands..." Psalm 90:17
MATH:
- Practice percentage concepts.
- Assess mastery of concepts related to percentages.
- Investigate geometry tools.
- Review measuring angles greater than 180 degrees.
- Identify the angle properties of intersecting lines and angles that meet at a point.
- Improve speed and accuracy of math facts.
SPELLING:
- Assess mastery of words with the different ways to spell the /us/ sound.
- Learn to spell the /ibl/ sound spelled IBLE.
GRAMMAR:
- Classify and diagram pattern five sentences: SNLVPA.
- Know that a predicate adjective is an adjective in the predicate that modifies the subject noun.
- Know the parts and purposes of friendly letters, and be able to properly format, capitalize, and punctuate them.
WRITING/VOCABULARY:
- Know the basic structure of an essay.
- Know what a thesis statement is.
- Understand how to add facts, details, and examples to support a topic sentence.
- Learn four new vocabulary words and be able to properly use them when writing.
READING:
- Summarize a passage through oral narration.
- Summarize a book in one paragraph.
- Identify virtues, as well as elements of truth, beauty and goodness, in reading passages.
- Expand vocabulary and improve reading comprehension.
- Assess mastery of previously learned vocabulary words, charts, and maxims.
- Memorize the noun jobs for each Latin case.
- Memorize the future tense of the irregular verb SUM.
- Learn ten accusative-case prepositions.
HISTORY:
- Know what the abolition movement was, and be familiar with the contributions of Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, and Sojourner Truth.
- Know what the Underground Railroad was and how it was used to "transport" slaves to freedom in the North.
SCIENCE:
- Know the components and functions of the immune systenm.
- Understand the difference between acquired and articfical immunity.
- Understand how vaccines work.
- Know that humans begin as one cell and the cells divide and differentiate to grow into a full-term human being.
GEOGRAPHY:
- Develop a heart of compassion for the peoples of the world who don't yet know Christ.
- Continue memorizing the states and capitals.
MEMORY WORK:
Geography: A hard copy of the maps can be found behind the "memory" tab in your child's binder. Additional maps, as well as MP3s of the song, are available at this link: Geography Resources.
History: The key dates have accompanying jingles that do not have to be memorized but will help students memorize the dates and retain details about the events to which they correspond.
KEY DATES
1. Leif Ericsson Explores America - 1000
2. Columbus Sails to the Americas - 1492
3. Lost Colony of Roanoke - 1587
4. Founding of Jamestown - 1607
5. Landing of the Pilgrims at Plymouth - 1620
6. Salem Witch Trials - 1692
7. First Great Awakening -1740s
8. French & Indian War - 1754-63
9. Boston Tea Party - 1773
10. Paul Revere's Ride - 1775
11. Declaration of Independence - July 4, 1776
12. American Revolution - 1775-83
13. Constitution is Ratified - 1787-88
14. Industrial Revolution Begins - Late 1700s
15. Louisiana Purchase - 1803
16. Lewis and Clark Expedition - 1804
17. War of 1812
18. The Monroe Doctrine - 1823
Poetry: Our third-quarter poem is
Psalm 139:1-18
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
1 You have searched me, LORD, and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue, you, LORD, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand—when I awake, I am still with you.